Sunday 29 January 2012

Adult children shall be obliged to look after their parents

Letters from Turkey
My dear Aunt,

sure, there must be great passages in the Fundamental Law. Even among the few picked at random I found a sentence both important in practical terms and elevated ethically.

Although it is another obligation (of which there might be more than of rights in the Law), I fully endorse it.

Article XVI
(4) Adult children shall be obliged to look after their parents if they are in need.

Now, I have adult children and I am in need. Great need. As in this case there is no reference to a law to be written I take the obligation at flat value, my children should look after me unconditionally, period. That is good news. 

That is the practical part, but the morality of that message is more important. A true Christian idea, no ifs and buts. Adult children shall be obliged even if they were physically assaulted, abused, raped, sodomised, neglected, maltreated or simply unloved. The Fundamental Law of Hungary would oblige Elisabeth Fritzle to help poor Joseph, who is indeed in need serving his sentence.

A short paragraph and still embraces the essence of Christian morality: forgiveness and unconditional love.  

I really have to go now, please do your homework (remember?), love.

No comments:

Post a Comment